V-Day Breakfast That’ll Actually Make You Want to Get OUT of Bed
Red Velvet Pancakes Stuffed with Decadent Brie
Keep those Valentine’s Day vibes going strong into the next morning with these dreamy red velvet pancakes, perfected with a few romantic delights –Amarena wild cherries, black lava cashew crumble, and filled with soft brie cheese.
So, grab your favorite person and throw on some classic love tunes for pajama-time cooking that will knock your socks off.
- 1/4 pound Brie. Our pick is Delice de Bourgogne, a luxurious triple cream cow’s milk cheese from France. If you’re looking for something a bit more mild, ask your cheesemonger to recommend a more traditional brie
- 1/4 cup Di Bruno Bros. Black Lava Cashews, coarsely crushed
- 1/2 cup Amarena Wild Cherries, chopped
THE USUAL SUSPECTS:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons red food coloring
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (or more depending on your tastes) pancake syrup, warmed
- Butter or non-stick cooking spray
Take turns with the whisk – one mixes while the other measures, separately mix first the dry and then the wet ingredients before bringing it all together. Then, while one set of hands works the flame, the other can crush the cashews, prep the cherries and warm up the syrup.
- You mix, I’ll measure? Bring together flour, powdered sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl and set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk the buttermilk, water, eggs, granulated sugar and red food coloring. Gradually stir buttermilk mixture into the flour mixture until dry ingredients are incorporated.
- Avoid a mess and place in a baggie before crushing with a rolling pin or can. A course crumble is best—so don’t go nuts smashing things.
- Chop your cherries into eighths.
- In a large skillet over medium heat or buttered griddle heated to 350°F, pour about 1/4 cup of batter for each pancake. Cook 3-4 minutes or until tops are covered with bubbles and the edges look firm. When you can wiggle the spatula under the cake, give it a flip and cook another 1-2 minutes until lightly browned. Don’t be afraid if the first one isn’t perfect!
- Using a spatula, fold pancake in half and hold for 5-10 seconds until cake holds the fold and looks like a taco shell.
- Place in a single layer on a baking sheet, and keep warm in a 200°F oven up to 30 minutes until you’re ready to eat.
SOME ASSEMBLY REQUIRED
You make mine, I’ll make yours. Once you have the desired number of pancakes prepped, pull from the oven and get to stuffing. Using a butter knife, peel away the top rind, scoop the cheesy goodness from your brie and schmear into the fold of the pancake. It’ll melt like butter so add a little extra and get ready to dip. If you’re feeling the love, flip the folds of two cakes away from each other to make a heart on your plate, sprinkle with chopped cherries, cashew crumbles and bring on the syrup!
Have a different cheese you’d like to try? We’d love to hear what you come up with. Have a love filled morning, Valentines!