Director of Culinary Operations
The primary purpose of the Director of Culinary Operations is to direct and oversee the operations of the Commissary Kitchen and Catering Operations for Di Bruno Bros. This individual will train and manage department personnel and supervise/coordinate all related operational activities. He/she is responsible for ensuring that we exceed customer expectations, develop our Associates and meet both Company and departmental objectives.
Essential Job Functions
- Provide superior customer service as defined by Di Bruno Bros. within the scope of the position and Company policy
- Oversee direction, coordination, evaluation and financial results of Di Bruno Bros.’ Commissary Kitchen ,Catering, Facilities and Dispatch
- Manage staff in a manner consistent with Di Bruno Bros. philosophy of Servant Leadership by maximizing productivity, customer service and Associate satisfaction:
- Supervise staff in their daily responsibilities
- Ensure compliance of Associates with established department and Company policies and procedures, security, sales and record-keeping procedures and practices
- Coach and motivate Associates to foster ongoing development and help them reach their potential
- Review Associate training and development plans. Monitor, supervise and conduct Associate evaluations. Participate in interviewing and hiring process.
- Responsible for overseeing the scheduling staff to ensure high efficiency, labor within budget and an excellent customer experience
- Establish quantity and quality output standards for personnel in all departments under his/her direction
- Complete payroll responsibilities on a weekly basis; forward hours and commissions to Human Resources
- Ensure that all standard operating procedures for revenue and cost control are in place a consistently followed
- Monitor purchasing and receiving procedures for products and supplies to ensure proper quantity, quality and price for all purchases
- Oversee the performance of regular inspections to ensure that all safety, sanitation, energy management, preventative maintenance and other standards are consistently met
- Work with Chefs in developing menus and retail prices to meet departmental gross profit goals:
- Establish and maintain presentation standards
- Ensure highest level of quality and presentation in products and services
- Ensure that all federal, state, local and Company regulations and standards for product freshness, safety, refrigeration, sanitation and weights and measures are met
- Review new techniques for food preparation and presentation in a manner and variety to maximize customer satisfaction and minimize food costs
- Work with Catering and Marketing Management to develop both internal and external marketing and sales promotion activities for Catering
- Assist in the planning and implementation procedures for special events
- Develop realistic solutions to operational problems, recommend actions designed to prevent these problems, assign problems to subordinates when appropriate and Sr. Management when necessary
- Perform various office and accounting functions
- Additional duties and projects as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in related field and 5-7 years of Food and Beverage Management experience and/or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Ability to travel between business units, meetings and event locations as necessary
- Ability to communicate with customers, staff and colleagues
- Competency in Microsoft Suite
- Ability to read, write and count to accurately complete all documentation
- Strong analytical and mathematical skills
- Detail-oriented and the ability to multi-task in stressful situations
- Ability to move or handle product, orders and supplies
- Ability to develop teams, delegate effectively and to prioritize when dealing with multiple tasks.
- Ability to work varied hours/days as dictated by business.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an individual to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The performance of this position will require that the individual be able to travel independently among all business units, meetings and event locations. While performing the duties of this position, the individual is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The individual is required to stand for the majority of their shift and will frequently be required to walk or stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The individual will occasionally be required to sit and climb or balance. The individual must regularly lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move over 50 pounds.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an individual encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The performance of this position will require that the individual be able to travel independently among all business units, meetings and event locations. The individual will work in very close proximity with co-workers and come into contact with both co-workers and the public. For the most part, ambient room temperatures, lighting and equipment are found as in a traditional office. Floors and hallways may be slippery at times. Kitchen temperatures will vary from cold and hot extremes.
Due to the nature of our industry, the performance of this position will require the individual to spend time in a facility in which he/she will be exposed, either directly or indirectly, to potential food allergens including (but not limited to): peanuts, gluten, corn, egg, fish, milk, shellfish, soy, tree nut and wheat.